Saturday, January 30, 2010

EME 2040 - Reflection 4

A lot of participation from the student is required to have an inquiry-based learning. The student should learn from experience, and surge into the world to gather information and feed his or her curiosity. In many classes, I find that the student might feel embarrassed to ask a question. Many times their instructor will be intimidating, and even answer the questions with an attitude because they get angry that the student did not understand. This has even happened to me when I was in middle school and high school. Often times I'd be too nervous to answer for fear that I would get scolded at, or that my classmates wouldn't understand my point of view. I thought that if I were the only one asking, than I am the only one who doesn't understand and that I'm not smart enough. Therefore, I just never bothered asking. When I was confused about a subject, I thought everyone else understood but me. As I got older, I realized if I feel this way, probably many other of my classmates felt this way too. Maybe everyone else was also afraid to ask their questions. Thankfully, as I got into college I got over this habit of refraining from asking my questions. In inquiry-based learning the instructor should encourage the student to ask questions. The instructor should also encourage the student that if they want to know something to go out and gather information. Do some research, google it! Especially with today's technology, we don't have to go out to find out anything. We just need a computer. We have the entire world and almost all the information in it right at the tips of our fingers! The instructor should encourage their students to use today's tools and their minds to learn about everything and anything they want to know! And when the student does ask, they do not get scolded at. In fact, they get rewarded with answers and knowledge. This type of environment helps all the students to feel comfortable asking questions. Also, this way, when that one shy student sees everyone else is asking, he or she won't feel as bad asking questions either. I think this is great! To me, students asking questions doesn't mean they're stupid. It only means they want to understand. I would much rather have a class of students that care and want to know, than students that don't bother to ask or want to learn. In an inquiry-based learning the students are actively involved in socializing with their instructor and is much more efficient than the student just being given a lesson. Sometimes a question in one student's mind can spark up more questions in other student's minds. With a willing and cooperative teacher, inquiry-based learning can be very efficient for the students' gain of knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment